Without the right fit, even the most expensive suit can leave a man looking shabby and unkempt. Ill-fitting suits are easy to spot, and they’re guaranteed to spoil first impressions with romantic interests and business associates. Unfortunately, many men still don’t know how to tell if their suit is properly tailored to their form.
The good news is, there are some simple, straightforward guidelines you can follow to help determine whether or not a suit is a good fit.
Starting at the top of the suit:
1. Do the pads in the shoulder extend past your natural shoulder line? If so, you should have the jacket altered. Should pads should heighten, not lengthen to your shoulders.
2. Next, check your lapels. Flatten your hand against your chest and slip it into your suit beneath the lapels. It should slide easily in and out without pulling at your top or middle button. If you can create a fist without disrupting your suit jacket, the jacket is too big.
3. Check your buttons. On a two-button suit, you’ll want the top button to rest above your navel. If your suit has three buttons, the middle button should not fall below your navel.
4. Make a fist with your arms relaxed at your side. The top of your fist should rest at the bottom edge of your jacket.
5. The sleeve of your jacket should rest neatly at the point where your thumb and wrist connect. No part of your jacket should touch knuckles, or reveal your watch with your arms at your side.
6. Suits look best with about 1/4” to 1/2” of shirt sleeve extending beyond the sleeve of the jacket.Don’t forget to check your tie as well. It should fit neatly beneath your jacket with no loose ends peaking out.
It’s much easier to distinguish the right fit in pants, as opposed to the jacket. You’ll notice a comfortable fit around the waist, similar to your favorite casual pants. The place to really pay attention to is near your shoes. Your pants will look best fitting with a one-inch break between your hem and your shoe. You will be able to see the shoes, but not the socks.
Need to make some alterations to the suits in your current wardrobe, or to a new suit? At Squire Fine Men’s Apparel, we also offer professional on-site tailoring. We’ll take your measurements and create the perfect fit for your frame. Give us a call at (262) 754-2801 or stop in. Our tailors are available Monday through Friday from 10 to 6, and on Saturday from 9 to 5.